Apr 3, 2018

ARC Review: Fighting Fate by Shaila Patel

Author: Shaila Patel
Series: Joining of Souls #2
Publisher: East Girl Publishing
Number of Pages: 325
Amazon | Goodreads

Synopsis:
"Empath Liam Whelan is determined to protect Laxshmi "Lucky" Kapadia, the girl he loves, at all costs--even if it means breaking her heart to keep her alive. Stopping the joining cold means Liam's life is in danger from the Soul Seekers and the ruthless Minister Gagliardi who now has designs on Lucky. Liam has no choice but to find the strength to fight his desires, fight the joining, and fight fate.
After the unthinkable happened, Lucky's "hallucinations" have been working double-time. Heartbroken and plagued by doubts, she meets a man who gives her a mind-blowing explanation for her predicament. Her apparent savior provides her with an escape from her hell: run away with him or return to her drab existence and watch Liam move on with her heart in his hands. All Lucky ever craved was to be in control of her own fate, but when her only choices fight against her heart, can she find the strength to battle for what she wants?"
I am absolutely obsessed. I've read this book three times already and I can not get enough. I didn't know it was possible, but Shaila made her already amazing characters even more incredible.

The first thing I feel like we have to talk about is the writing. I've read the first book, Soulmated, several times and after reading Fighting Fate, the growth in the author's writing is blatant. I'm not saying that the writing in book one wasn't good--it was, but this book just flowed better. The writing had more emotion to it and I found myself laughing, feeling heartache, and many other emotions a lot more just because the writing was richer. 

We also have to talk about the characters in this book. Lucky and Liam have had so much character growth since book one of the series. Lucky was a very relatable teen girl in the sense that she did not hide her feelings about being upset with Liam. It was refreshing to see a female character that actually expressed her true emotions when it came to heartache and love. Liam was just the Liam that we grew to love in the first book. We got the flirtation, the humor, and the protectiveness that we expected plus extra. My favorite thing about him in this book was that I felt that he was funnier in a flirty kind of way. 

I will warn you all right now, that Shaila Patel did us dirty once again. The cliffhanger in this book was WAY worse than the ending of the first. I am dying to get my hands on book three so hopefully, she writes fast! I 10/10 would recommend reading this book and if you haven't read the first, please do! This series is one of my favorite diverse books out there.



Rating: 5 out of 5 stars!!
*A copy of this novel was provided by the author for an honest review. 

1 comment:

  1. I haven’t heard about this series yet, but you make it sound really good! Great review, thanks for sharing!

    Evie @ Bookish Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete