Sep 29, 2016

Review: Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke

Author: April Genevieve Tucholke
Publisher: Dial Books
Number of Pages: 247
Goodreads l Amazon

Synopsis:
"Every story needs a hero.Every story needs a villain.Every story needs a secret.
Wink is the odd, mysterious neighbor girl, wild red hair and freckles. Poppy is the blond bully and the beautiful, manipulative high school queen bee. Midnight is the sweet, uncertain boy caught between them. Wink. Poppy. Midnight. Two girls. One boy. Three voices that burst onto the page in short, sharp, bewitching chapters, and spiral swiftly and inexorably toward something terrible or tricky or tremendous.
What really happened?Someone knows.Someone is lying. "

This book seriously lost me within the first few pages. I really didn't like anything about this book except for Midnight. Everything else was just weird and not in a good way. 

The plot would have been fine except during the last 50 pages of the book everything just went downhill. And because the book isn't that long everything felt very rushed, but it also didn't because I was so bored that everything just dragged on. I don't know if that makes any sense, but overall I didn't like the ending.

The worst thing about this book were the characters. Midnight was fine; I didn't agree with a lot of his decisions and he seemed a little stupid but it fit the overall mood of the book so it was fine. But Wink and Poppy were the absolute WORST. You weren't really supposed to like Poppy, so I think the author got what she wanted but I couldn't figure her out. I kind of understood why she was horrible but not really and overall I was just kind of confused. But at least she wasn't as bad as Wink. 

I'm pretty sure the author wanted the reader to like and relate to Wink but I didn't get that at all. She was the absolute worst because she kept persuading Midnight to do stupid things, and I feel like the author wanted these actions to seem like Midnight and Wink were bringing justice to the world, but they weren't. They were being stupid and horrible human beings. This is so hard to explain without spoilers, but to sum it up I just hated Wink. A lot.



Overall, I would not recommend this book. I read this a while ago, and I think my feelings against it just kind of escalated so this may seem a little dramatic but I was feeling it.

Rating: 2 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment