Jun 20, 2016

Review: Summer of Sloane by Erin L. Schneider

Author: Erin L. Schneider
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Number of Pages: 291
Goodreads I Amazon

Synopsis:
"Warm Hawaiian sun. Lazy beach days. Flirty texts with her boyfriend back in Seattle.These are the things seventeen-year-old Sloane McIntyre pictured when she imagined the summer she’d be spending at her mom’s home in Hawaii with her twin brother, Penn. Instead, after learning an unthinkable secret about her boyfriend, Tyler, and best friend, Mick, all she has is a fractured hand and a completely shattered heart.
Once she arrives in Honolulu, though, Sloane hopes that Hawaii might just be the escape she needs. With beach bonfires, old friends, exotic food, and the wonders of a waterproof cast, there’s no reason Sloane shouldn’t enjoy her summer. And when she meets Finn McAllister, the handsome son of a hotel magnate who doesn’t always play by the rules, she knows he’s the perfect distraction from everything that’s so wrong back home.
But it turns out a measly ocean isn’t nearly enough to stop all the emails, texts, and voicemails from her ex-boyfriend and ex-best friend, desperate to explain away their betrayal. And as her casual connection with Finn grows deeper, Sloane’s carefree summer might not be as easy to find as she’d hoped. Weighing years of history with Mick and Tyler against their deception, and the delicate possibility of new love, Sloane must decide when to forgive, and when to live for herself."
This was the best book to read to get me out of my book slump. Thanks to my friend Sarah to recommending it to me (PSST, y'all should check her blog out here). So, yeah I freaking loved it, and if anyone is looking for a good summer read this is the one!


My favorite thing about this book was the characters because they weren't annoying at all. The main character, Sloane, had a ton of problems thrown at her throughout the entire summer, and there is no way that I could have made it through all that the way she did. While there was some things that I would have done differently, I really sympathized with her situation and thus was more understanding. Also, the minor characters were cool too! Overall, no one was annoying which is a huge accomplishment for a contemporary novel. YAY!!!

The only thing would be that I kind of got a little bored with the plot for like 50 pages, but I kind of pushed through that. And I'm glad I did because the ending was great! I would like to say that the plot of the book wasn't the most original, but I enjoyed it because I was in the mood for a contemporary YA.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good summer read. I was definitely in the mood for a contemporary, but I think if I wasn't in that mood I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much, so I would keep that in mind.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars!

1 comment: