Jul 21, 2015

Review: Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins

Author: Rachel Hawkins
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Number of Pages: 345

 Synopsis:


Harper Price, peerless Southern belle, was born ready for a Homecoming tiara. But after a strange run-in at the dance imbues her with incredible abilities, Harper's destiny takes a turn for the seriously weird. She becomes a Paladin, one of an ancient line of guardians with agility, super strength and lethal fighting instincts.
Just when life can't get any more disastrously crazy, Harper finds out who she's charged to protect: David Stark, school reporter, subject of a mysterious prophecy and possibly Harper's least favorite person. But things get complicated when Harper starts falling for him—and discovers that David's own fate could very well be to destroy Earth.
With snappy banter, cotillion dresses, non-stop action and a touch of magic, this new young adult series from bestseller Rachel Hawkins is going to make y'all beg for more.
So, this was on my TBR for this month, and I've wanted to read it for a long time because I loved Rachel Hawkins' Hex Hall series. And let me tell you, this book did not disappoint. 

I would not say this book was cliché at all; it was very original and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The entire plot of Harper becoming a Paladin and having to protect David (who also has problems with the whole prophecy thing) was very entertaining especially because they hated each other. Also, the pacing of the book was amazing! I read the book in about two days and not once did I get bored.

Harper was a very relatable character, to me at least. She's the type of person to who also needs everything, including herself, to be perfect, and while I don't go to such extremes I do stress quite a bit, so I sympathized for her and the situation she was in. But, the best thing had to be her criticism and arguments with David. They were hilarious together, and everyone was rooting for them at the end.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this book to everyone because it was a great book, not as good as her Hex Hall series but close, with a great plot and amazing characters. 
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Love the way you set out your reviews! I've been meaning to read this for so long!

    ReplyDelete