Aug 17, 2013

Review: The Prey by Andrew Fukuda

The Prey (The Hunt, #2)Author: Andrew Fukuda
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Number of Pages: 304

Synopsis:
"For Gene and the remaining humans—or hepers—death is just a heartbeat away. On the run and hunted by society, they must find a way to survive in The Vast... and avoid the hungry predators tracking them in the dark. But they’re not the only things following Gene. He’s haunted by the girl he left behind and his burgeoning feelings for Sissy, the human girl at his side.
When they discover a refuge of exiled humans living high in the mountains, Gene and his friends think they’re finally safe. Led by a group of intensely secretive elders, the civilisation begins to raise more questions than answers. A strict code of behaviour is the rule, harsh punishments are meted out, young men are nowhere to be found—and Gene begins to wonder if the world they’ve entered is just as evil as the one they left behind. As life at the refuge grows more perilous, he and Sissy only grow closer. In an increasingly violent world, all they have is each other... if they can only stay alive."
First thing first is I have to say that this book definitely beats the first one. This was a really big improvement from the first. I kept on groaning and I was really disappointed with the writing. The thing that really made me love The Hunt was the ending. The cliffhanger compelled me to read this book.

I adored this book and ate it up. The last book's cliffhanger practically killed me and this book really made me...I don't even know. I loved the concept of this book. Andrew Fukuda really made an improvement with this book. The writing was just amazing in this book.

The concept of this book just pulled me in right away. Gene, Sissy, and her family are running away from the vampires and the action at the beginning of the book was amazing. It pulled me in and I thought I was watching a real paranormal action movie. Beautifully written. They are looking for the Scientist, and they find a bunch of clues that are supposed to lead to him. They end up finding a group of humans, this is what really hooked me into the book--the way these humans live. They live in a society where all the elders are guys and all the girls are teenagers who are pregnant and have tiny feet, hardly fit for walking with, and all the boys are either the elders or babies. 

The concept of the girls feet really reminded me of footbinding in Ancient China. This whole was such an amazing experience to read. Eventually, Gene and his group learn more about the village of humans and things happen.

The ending wasn't all that great for me. It didn't make me crave the next book like the first book's cliffhanger did. I still really want to read the next book but it's not as bad as I wanted to read this book. It's a good and bad thing.

I really do recommend reading this series. It might be vampires but it's not Twilight kind of vampires so more people might like it. READ THIS SERIES!!

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars!

2 comments:

  1. Great review! It's a bit sad how vampires became from bad asses to a bit of a sparkly joke because of twilight. I love vampires though so I would definitely check this series out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I feel the same way. I feel like a lot of people now hate vampires because of Twilight. One series doesn't describe every book out there.

      Definitely check this series out! It's amazing!!

      Delete