Aug 17, 2013

Review: Dirty Little Secret by Jennifer Echols

Dirty Little SecretAuthor: Jennifer Echols
Publisher: MTV Books
Number of Pages: 288

Synopsis:

"Bailey wasn’t always a wild child and the black sheep of her family. She used to play fiddle and tour the music circuit with her sister, Julie, who sang and played guitar. That ended when country music execs swooped in and signed Julie to a solo deal. Never mind that Julie and Bailey were a duet, or that Bailey was their songwriter. The music scouts wanted only Julie, and their parents were content to sit by and let her fulfill her dreams while Bailey’s were hushed away.
Bailey has tried to numb the pain and disappointment over what could have been. And as Julie’s debut album is set to hit the charts, her parents get fed up with Bailey’s antics and ship her off to granddad’s house in Nashville. Playing fiddle in washed-up tribute groups at the mall, Bailey meets Sam, a handsome and oh-so-persuasive guitarist with his own band. He knows Bailey’s fiddle playing is just the thing his band needs to break into the industry. But this life has broken Bailey’s heart once before. She isn’t sure she’s ready to let Sam take her there again…"
This book is perfect for music fans, especially country. Even if you don't like music you will still love this book! This is definitely one of my favorites out of Jennifer Echol's books. She did a great job with this and I know lots of people enjoyed it.
“He nodded to my fiddle case. "Why didn't you come play with me?" Immediately he rolled his eyes at himself. "That's not what I meant."I didn't point out that if he was constantly hearing double entendres in his own words, he had a dirtier mind than he wanted to let on. Sam having a dirty mind was okay with me. It was adorable, actually, as long as his mind was on me.” 
I was constantly seeing dialogue like this and this is the type of things that I say all the time so....This book definitely had humor, maybe not the ideal humor because it was kind of sexual innuendos kind of jokes but there were jokes. Most of these jokes came from Sam. Dirty mind Sam, dirty mind.

The characters I was a bit iffy about. Sam's intentions were honest from the beginning that he wanted the music career before anything but I found that very selfish and so he wasn't my favorite character, and Bailey's attitude kind of irritated me but they were great characters none the less. They both were very human like and honest as characters so I liked that.
“When every other facet of my life was a mess, music stayed true as math.” 
Music played a HUGE part of this book. I loved hearing all the musical references and all the songs. I knew quite a lot of them but for the ones I didn't I rushed over to Youtube to look them up and I found a couple of new favorites. Music is something that can help you through anything and this book totally proved this. I'm not a huge fan of country but my respect for the genre has definitely grown for it after this book.

This book didn't just have country songs but songs of all genres in it. I'm pretty sure there was a point where there was some Britney Spears in there... There was also a wannabe Elvis, I just found that amusing. I felt a lot of pity for wannabe Elvis at that point.
“It's one thing to think you're worthless, and quite another for somebody else to tell you that you are.” 
This book is a lot about music but what I really got from this book was what it really means to realize what you want, and if it is really worth giving up for others. This book is truly inspirational for me who has had a hard time with stuff like that.  

This is a book that I think that you guys will like. It is definitely one of her best work and I really enjoyed reading this. The cover really caught my attention with this one. Hope you pick it up and enjoy!

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment