Aug 2, 2013

Review: Dare You To by Katie McGarry

Dare You To (Pushing the Limits, #2)Author: Katie McGarry
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Number of Pages: 456

Here's the synopsis:
"Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth."
"No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again....
"I dare you..."
If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....
Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.
But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all...."
Funny, beautiful, and it makes you smile Dare You To is the perfect book to read on any day of the week.

This is the sequel to one of the most amazing book, Pushing the Limits, I screeched when I finally got this book and finished it in just a couple of hours. I ADORE THIS SERIES!! (To read my review of Pushing the Limits click here.) The cover is also ridiculously gorgeous. They really need to stop making such beautiful covers, it's emptying my pockets. :)

Dare You To is amazing. It is the prefect sequel to a perfect book like Pushing the Limits. Katie McGarry has once again been able to capture the readers wishes for Beth and Ryan perfectly. This book will leave the readers begging for me, because frankly-I know I am begging for more.
“Beth feels likes this storm. Constant and persistent as a whole, but the more I get close and try to clutch the individual drops of rain, the more the water falls out of my hands.” 
Beth is one of those girls-the types that are independent, don't let anyone get away with any shit, and is loyal to the people she cares about. She's the friend that you want, but the enemy you stay away from. I love her style, how she dresses is on the edge and from what I'm picturing I want her wardrobe  well except for the pants with the rips at the edge of her butt.
“Baseball isn't just a game. It's the smell of popcorn drifting in the air, the sight of bugs buzzing near the stadium lights,the roughness of the dirt beneath your cleats. It's the anticipation building in your chest as the anthem plays, the adrenaline rush when your bat cracks against the ball, and the surge of blood when the umpire shouts strike after you pitch. It's a team full of guys backing your every move, a bleacher full of people cheering you on. It's...life” 
Ryan is rich, popular, and a very talented baseball player. The baseball player had me hooked on his character as soon as my eyes hit those two words. I'm from New York City and I am a HUGE Yankees fan  everyone knows my love for baseball. At first Ryan is very cocky and he's a little bit of a jerk to Beth. He only talks to Beth to get her number for a dare  but eventually that dare turns into more. Ryan also realizes that he is a writer and that isn't good for his life plan or at least what his dad says. Ryan in a way really learns who he wants to be in this book. He finds out truly who he is and what he wants out of life. He is a boy that any girl would be lucky to have  sadly I don't get him. *goes to sob in a corner*
“I like you. I. Like. You. I'll admit you're annoying. Sometimes you agitate me to the brink of insanity, but you can throw it back at me like no one else. When you laugh, I want to laugh. When you smile, I want to smile. Hell, I want to be the one to make you smile.” 
The characters in this book is amazing. They almost come to life in front of you as if you aren't watching a movie  oh no, you are watching a Broadway show. Everything is real, you aren't watching these characters on some screen, or reading about them on some page. These characters come to life. Katie McGarry gives us what we really want in this book  she gives up characters that we can believe in, befriend, and maybe even write fanfiction about. Isn't that the dream?
“My fingers lightly trace her arm and I swear she presses closer to me. I'd love to kiss her right now. Not the type of kiss that makes her body come alive. The type of kiss that shows her how much I care - the type that involves my soul.” 
The chemistry in this book is absolutely amazing. The characters have had totally different lives, no one expects them to get along. They grew up differently, have had vastly different life experiences  they really are different, yet somehow they are both really similar. They both need to really figure out what they want out of life and who they really are. They are a perfect couple and they are on the list of my favorite OTPs (One True Pairing). You end up falling in love with them and their love story and you just want to read it over and over again until you have it all memorized

This book is phenomenal and I absolutely adored it. I really hope that I can get my hands on Crash into You soon! Time for Isaiah's story!! I highly recommend you pick up this book and if you haven't read Pushing the Limits yet, read that first. Readers will not be disappointed, I personally enjoyed this book a little bit more than the first. I felt more connected to the characters.


Rating: 5 out of 5 stars!!

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I loved this book too. I just finished Crossing the Line, but now I'm out of Katie McGarry books. Here's to waiting. Ack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hate waiting for books as it is and Katie McGarry's books are torture to wait for..

      Delete