Dec 9, 2012

Review: Defiance by C.J. Redwine

Defiance (Defiance, #1)Author: C.J. Redwine
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST READ?!?!?!? This was freaking fantastic! AHHHHHHH! I FREAKING WANT TO BUY THIS BOOK NOW! Ok, I'll try to calm down now. *takes a couple 100 deep breaths in* Ok, I'm a little bit calmer now. Sorry if I start spazzing out on you guys again.

Here's the synopsis:
"Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city's brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father's apprentice, Logan--the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same one who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but a fierce belief in her father's survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.

At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city's top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor's impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making."

At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city's top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor's impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.
As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can't be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making."
Let me just say that this book was absolutely amazing which you probably figured out from my introduction. At the beginning of this book I thought this book was going to get like a 4 star rating because at the beginning people just tended to show up very abruptly and randomly, and it really confused me. It was like "Wow, umm OK abrupt topic change" kind of thing. I really, really, really did not like it, but it was a small thing so whatever. Also, I felt that the romance was beginning to quickly in this book. It was as if this book wasn't very well written. I understand that Rachel had feelings for Logan before this book started but still....

Then I read on, and OH MY GOD! Did the rest of the book make up for it? Hell yeah! There were scenes where it looked like Rachel and Logan were going to kiss, and I was holding my breath and waiting for it too happen and then....I got nothing. Those were the moments that really made me want to read on. This book had just the right amount of romance and action. The romance didn't overpower the action and the action didn't over power the romance. This book was meant for action and we got it. There were some parts in the book where I was like "Wait what?" because I just totally thought that something different was going to happen. I love how the author just kept us on the edge of our seat and just totally kept us surprised and wanting to know what that next shocker would be.

Let me introduce you to our first main character, Rachel. Rachel is such a strong character, and I love her for that. She is the type of person I would want to be. She is totally self-less in a way. She is just so caring and it seems that if she loves someone it is unconditional. That is the way I want to be able to love. She is a fighter...literally. Women in this society need to be looked after. They aren't safe on their own, they need to have someone to be at their side constantly when they are out in public, it isn't safe for them physically. Rachel is trained to be able to fight and she tries constantly to be able to use that power, but in this type of society she just can't. Punishment can be very hard on most and can leave people dead.

Then we have our second main character, Logan. I freaking want Logan. He is such an amazing guy. He knows how to control his temper. He has a straight head and know dumb from stupid and right from wrong. He is strong and courageous and just like Rachel he loves with a fierce power. Logan was orphaned when his mother was lashed to death by the Commander (ruler of the city. I will have a few sentences about how much I hate him in a few minutes). Logan has considered Rachel's family his own and therefore, he is right with Rachel when her Dad goes missing. He wants to find him, but unlike Rachel he wants to go out with a plan. Also, just so you know Logan is supposed to be handsome and funny so that makes him even better. ;P

Now onto the Commander. I freaking hate him, over course. I'm supposed to hate him, and I really do. I have no idea what happened to him at the end of the book, but I have a few things in mind about what I want to have happened to him, but I'm not going to say because it would either contain spoilers or it is just a little gruesome...OK, a lot of gruesome.

I really loved this book and hopefully I can buy this book and read it again, and again, and again. I can't read it again right now because it's going back to the library tomorrow. Really people, go out and read this. It is really an amazing read. You will fall in love with this book and characters. Tell me what you think of this book afterwards! Just comment. Also, this is supposed to have a sequel because it is part of a series but there is no news of a second book so once I get some news I will post it.

Here are some quotes from the book that I loved:


“I ache to hear her tell me she loves me, but forcing her to put words to how she feels pushes her further into the silence she seems comfortable calling home now. I tell myself to be patient and understanding, but inside there's a longing only those words will fill, and it hurts to ignore it.” ~Logan
*  *  *  *
“...because on some basic, soul-deep level within me, he is the solid ground beneath my feet.” ~Rachel
*  *  *  *  
“I need you, Logan. Just you"
I tighten my grip on her tunic. "Why?"
"Because I still love you." Her voice catches. "I never stopped. I thought I had. I wanted to. But somehow .. it's like a part of you lives inside the most important part of me, and I don't know how to separate the two." Tears spill over, tracing a glistening path down her cheeks. "I love you, Logan"
Joy surges through me, brilliant and wild. I cup her face in my hands and wipe away her tears. "I love you too, Rachel. Always" And then I do my best to use the full hour I've been given to kiss her senseless.” ~Logan
*  *  *  *
“I'm no longer a daughter.No longer a granddaughter.No longer a girl with dreams. With hope.I'm a weapon, now.” ~Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment